It is what it is!!! The blog of TJ Chapman & TJs DJs... Hip Hop music, the music biz and dj stuff at its best.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

11 Ways To Be Effectively Persistent

11 Ways To Be Effectively Persistent

May 30th, 2010 by Lior Shamir

As an artist growing your business, you’ll often reach out to publishers, labels and prospective fans who may be interested – but not necessarily expecting – to hear from you.

I’m talking about a cold email (or unsolicited email) composed and sent in a personal, professional and transparent manner.  Don’t confuse this with bulk email sent to recipients who did not directly opt-in to your list.  That’s spam.

From my experience, a cold email will get answered when your message addresses the recipient’s urgent need.  Easier said than done, right?

Over the years, I developed a simple check-list to ensure that my cold emails rise to the top, get opened, read and responded to.

11 questions I ask myself before I click the ’send’ button:

1. Is my email subject line personal, compelling and distinctive?

2. Does the message in the email body list and persist the benefits of communicating with me?

3. Have I included all the facts (not the fluff) about me for the recipient’s reference?

4. Have I demonstrated that I sincerely care about the recipient?

5. Have I clearly expressed what action I would like the recipient to take after reading my email?

6. Can my message be shorter, clearer and more persuasive?

7. Have I strategically timed and conceived my follow-up emails in advance?

8. Is my persistence justified in my follow-up emails or am I coming off as pushy?

9. Do I have a response email ready (at least in my head) if and when the recipient replies?

10. Am I primed for resistance and emotionally prepared for rejection?

11. If the recipient doesn’t reciprocate after several attempts, do I have a plan B?

The next time you reach out to a music manager, music supervisor or venue owner, try running through these questions before you click the ‘send’ button.  This small extra step may help you rise above the noise and get you and your music heard.

Please share your own tips >>

Posted via web from TJ Chapman's Blog

No comments:

Twitter Favorites